Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Things I learned from our 2011 summer garden

1. We need new, and more, soaker hoses
Maybe the Green Zebra did so well because the hose had a leak in front of it and so it hoarded most of the water. Or maybe it is just a really productive plant. Guess we'll find out next year when we compare yield year/year. We also need to snake the hoses in the bed a few more times, to maximize water coverage. Lesson learned- check your beds to make sure they are getting proper water. Don't just trust your hose.

2. Water every other morning, for 3 hours
This applies to the veggie garden soaker hose timer. We've experimented with different settings, and this worked best for us. I bet it works even better with a fully functional hose.

3. The key to potted flowers and veggies is good drainage (and of course lots of water)
You see we had excess tomato plants this year, shocking, so several had to go into these nice big pots with really good soil. Well these plants never took off, and they kept getting overrun by mushrooms. I hate mushrooms. Turns out we weren't allowing proper drainage. So, Zack drilled some more holes and now the plants are awesome- flowering like crazy. Too bad it's too hot for them to set fruit.

3b. Potted plants need to be watered every other day (morning or late evening)
Especially when it's hot. They really like water. Maybe Zack can figure out a drip irrigation system for the hanging baskets on the back fence to save me some watering time next year. :)

4. Plants need food too!
Potted plants need a high middle number organic fertilizer once a week, and the raised bed garden should get dry food once a month, with seaweed spray weekly. Lesson learned- we fed our plants once, and they did very well, but I'm afraid we stunted their true potential.

5. Miracle grow moisture control soil rocks for flower. Like seriously. 
And secretly I want to use it for our vegetables too, but Zack won't let me because it's not from Natural Gardener. Whatever.

6. We can't grow squash. Anywhere, any kind. 
Squash bugs can suck it. I have no lesson learned other than anger.

7. Marigolds and an extra basil plant in the garden attract bees. 
This year we planted marigolds all around the edge of the garden, and an extra basil plant in the center that we let flower, because bees love them. We've had a good amount of bees this year, which I believe was a contributing factor to our high tomato yield.

8. Cucumbers and melons need help with pollination. 
While you will get production by just letting them do your thing, you'll get a much higher crop if you go out there with a q-tip and manually pollinate these guys your self. It's easy- stick the q-tip in one flower to gather pollen, then the next, etc. Only use one side of the q-tip for plant though, unless you are attempting to create some crazy hybrid.

9. Start tomato plants indoors in February.
Buy them early, plant them in larger containers (burying 90% of the stem to develop a solid root system), then transplant into your garden in mid-March. You'll get tomatoes earlier, have bigger plants, and higher total production. Despite being #9 on this list, this is probably the most important thing we figured out this year.

10. Gardening is super rewarding. 
And something Zack and I enjoy doing together, and our friends get to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Literally.




I'm sure Zack would have things to add (and remove), but I feel like those are the biggest things I got out of our garden this year. And really, it's not that hard, but it does take a lot of time. But I love it. Zack is even building me two more beds for next year. One against the back fence for some roses, and a new raised garden bed against the side fence. For more tomatoes, duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment