Tuesday, July 10, 2012

4 Months

4 months seems so young still, yet it was exactly on your 4 month lifeiversary that I had my first major "wow, you aren't a baby anymore" moment. You were in your crib for a nap, but not asleep, and your dad walked in to give you a kiss. I'm watching this on the monitor like a creepy stalker you see, and as he came in to the room and left, you moved your little head around to watch him the entire time. Now this is nothing new, you've been tracking people, voices, Duke, toys, etc. for quite some time now, so maybe it was the expression in your eyes but it hit me, just like that. You are not a tiny (ok you haven't been tiny for a while) helpless little baby anymore. Sure you still need me for most things in life, but you are also so.... Alice. You personality has really started to emerge this past month. You are very chill and can be very serious, but it also doesn't take much at all to make you smile. And you don't giggle all of the time yet, but we can get a pretty good one out of you almost daily now- and it's the best thing I've ever heard. 
I'd also say overall this past month was your fussiest. You never really cry still, but you required a lot of naps (have to recover from all that growing and developing I suppose) and started eating more, so while we worked though those things there were some emotional times for me. But at the end of the day, you are a super happy, healthy baby that manages to keep us entertained for hours. And we love you oh so very much.



Now here's a recap, okay, a novella, of thoughts, milestones and progress from the last month.

As previously posted you discovered rolling over. After our initial applause that made it seem like you'd just been accepted to UT on a full volleyball scholarship, we realized we hated this trick. For a while as soon as you were put on your back, you rolled. And that isn't so bad, you really enjoy tummy time, but to you tummy time is play time and you scream and talk and scoot around. Not so good for sleeping. But since you only roll from back to front via the left side, this problem was fixed by putting you in bed near the side of your crib to prevent you from rolling over. I'm sure that is going to be the root of some weird problem you have later in life, but it means sleep now and really, that is what matters.



Scooting and slithering on your stomach is your preferred means of transportation. I use transportation lightly in that you aren't exactly moving across the room, but you can shimmy across your blanket for a toy (especially if it has lights and music- ADD much? Or maybe that's the tv...) and do a 360. It's rather odd actually, but it seems to make you happy. We've also tried the bumbo a few times because you really enjoy sitting and standing (with help of course), but you never were content in there at home. However when I picked you up from school yesterday you were just chilling in the bumbo like a champ, not all slouchy like when I put you in there at home. Jerk.




 You also love to kick. When you are laying down to get changed or on the floor to play or being put in bed for the night, you kick like a maniac. You are like a little puppy that doesn't know how else to let out your energy and excitement. It's freaking adorable. You kick in the bathtub and no surprise here, you kick in the pool. That's the other thing introduced this past month- swimming! And you love it (ok, I don't know if you loved it, but you hung out great. You are very zen baby), which makes your mom and dad very happy.



You've always been rather grabby, and even with intent, but now you are really working on coordination. Ok, I want that, I've got that, now how do I get it in my mouth? It's been pretty amazing to watch this progress, because that's exactly how it's played out. Which means you have a new interest in your toys- they aren't just objects to grasp or bat at, they are things to eat! Which really, I think you are doing a pretty good job. Your hand to mouth movement is way steadier than it was a month ago, and you are getting fairly consistent at being able to get what you want and eventually get it in your mouth. This is even happening with your binky- it's great! Although my hair, lips, nose and your dad's glasses are all on high alert.



Nina and Papa always said you had the most alert eyes, and this hasn't changed. As I really have nothing to compare this to since I've stopped reading anything about how I should be raising you (maybe I shouldn't admit that in public? That way if things go wrong I'm not to blame?), but as far as I'm concerned your ability to turn towards who you want to look at, and identify us by our voices is pretty damn amazing. The thing is, when I pictured having a baby, I never imaged the first couple of years really. It was all baking cookies, picnics, sporting events, trips to the beach and Disney World. I never in a million years of contemplation could have imagined that these, in the grand scheme of life, seemingly small milestones could be so much fun and awesome to witness.



And your feet! Oh how you love your feet. Maybe love isn't that right word, but you sure are amused by them. Whenever possible, those feet are in your hands. Sitting, being held, right before you roll over- you grab on to those feet and curl into a flexible little position I didn't think was still possible.


This past week we also discovered something hilarious, if not a tad bit mean. Peek-a-boo. I thought you may be too early to care about this game, but I was wrong. Every time we do this, the first time we "boo" you jump back scared, which cracks me up, but then you get a huge grin. It's awesome. And it worries me- I think you may have gotten a little of my bipolarness. Although, given your usual completely chill disposition, I may be jumping to conclusions here. Shocking!

A few other things to note in case I ever have another kid and want to refer back to this as a reference encyclopedia:

- You usually nap 3 times a day now. Around 9 or 10 for 1-2 hours, around 1 for 2 plus hours, then a 30 minute cat nap around 5:30.
- At around 3.5 months we upped your bottles from 4.5 to 5.5 ounces and the medium flow nipples. You eat 5 times a day.
- You have pooped on your clothes more in this past month than all other combined.
- We had a few really long nights where you woke up after your first 4 hours of sleep. EVERY. 30. MINUTES. It was hell. It has passed.
- You really like kids and have started to notice Duke. Every time Blake talks to you, you smile and focus all of your attention on him. The same thing at school- the older kids like to come stick there hands in your mouth and talk to you, and you just stare at them and smile.





- Also, it appears you like men more than women. They seem to be able to command your attention and immediately get a smile out of you.
- The first time to get the day care crud was awful for me. Probably sucked for you too, but since you didn't say anything I assumed it was worst for me. This pathetic little cough, congestion, sleepiness. Broke my heart. Humidifier, nose frida with saline spray and a towel under your mattress to elevate your head was all we could do. Seemed to pass pretty quickly though.
- You drool a lot. You are not teething and don't know how to freaking tell if you were, so I wish everyone would stop asking me that.
- If all else fails go outside- you enjoy the change of scenery and the light. And I enjoy a beer on the patio.

Love you to the moon and back Alice Kay.

You weren't being very cooperative for your 4 month photo shoot. Probably because I forgot to put on your cute little tutu. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment