Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Remembering The Best Dog Ever

I've been trying to do this for a week, and I just can't. There is so much to say, too many memories and quirks to capture, and I just can't do it. But I can't say nothing. So what I did say is incomplete- it rambles and is just so so inadequate. But today we pick up Duke's ashes and get ready to really say goodbye. And since this is a blog that captures our life, I guess something is better than nothing. And goodbye certainly isn't forgotten. 



Even though he is gone, I am not ready to say goodbye. So I push him out of my head completely to avoid the overwhelming grief that takes over my entire body. Of course there is nothing fair about the naturally short life of a dog, especially one cruelly cut extra short by illness. But this is not a story about loss. I guess it's not really a story at all.  Just memories and feelings. We lost a huge part of our lives t with the death of Duke, but that's not what I want to talk about. I want to remember all of the little things, the good and annoying, that made Duke, Duke.  His insane ability to catch any ball you threw at him, right out of the air. His high pitched bark, his obsession with toys, and if there wasn't a toy around he'd get a stick or a rock, and yes, he'd fetch them.  And if a toy was under the couch, he'd bury his nose as far under there as it would go and if we were nearby whine, otherwise he'd come find us and herd us to the couch. He really enjoyed herding us to wherever he wanted us to be. The way he just could not contain his excitement every time we went for a walk, even when they were not infrequent. He liked to eat his meal at nighttime, once we were in bed. You could be anywhere in the house and yell squirrel, and he'd run into the backyard, up and down the fence, hunting for that damn rodent. The way he thought he was a lap dog. How he'd sit under our feet at the dinner table every night, never quite begging. And if we sat here and played games too late, he'd start whining and attempt to heard us over to the couch, so we could cuddle. I always loved how Duke would sit on his bed by the window, and rest his head on the sill, with his ball perfectly placed next to his snout. He LOVED popcorn and was pretty amazing at catching it out of the air. Every morning while I was making lunches, he would come sit by me to get his little piece of lunch meat to start the day. He loved to sit right on top of people, like he could never be close enough to those he loved. And perhaps one of my favorite things is that he hated, HATED having his paws touched. Maybe because he would bite his nails so short they would often bleed, or maybe just because he was Duke. He was the most excellent dog- a great friend to Blake, Alice's first word and an unconditional pit of love. That dog thought he was human and we miss him so, so, so, infinity so's, much. He will never ever be forgotten- it's not even possible because he made us a family. He was there while Zack and I dated, though all the highs and lows of dating and early marriage, for our first home and our first person baby. Because really, Duke was our first baby. We love and miss you so much buddy.  







 



 


 














  



No comments:

Post a Comment